Have you had enough of the same old cardio machines? If you have then it’s time to get outside! One of the incredible things about the warmer weather is that you can get outside instead of suffering through a cardio machine workout. Those things can really burn a person out, so a change of scenery can really ramp up your motivation and stimulate you body in different ways.Being outside feels good, it’s energizing and the fresh air is good for us. Outdoor workouts can be very simple, you don’t need much equipment if any, just be creative! Both resistance training and cardio can be done in effective ways and to start, I’ve got a good/sweaty/intense cardio workout for you!
The best thing about this cardio workout is all you need are your running shoes and a set of stairs (with about 20 to 30 steps, or more. When it comes to a set of stairs, there are so many workouts you can create and I can’t wait to get into all of that! But for today, it’s about getting your heart rate up by doing a little work, and breathing in the fresh air.
The workout consists of 6 different movements that will challenge your cardiovascular endurance, speed, coordination, and all of your lower body musculature. This is great for overall conditioning!
- 10 sets x Single Step (20-30 steps) perform 2 sets back to back, take 15-20 second rest, then perform another 2 sets back to back, then 15-20 second rest. Repeat this pattern 5 times (10 single stair climbs)
- Quick feet up those stairs!
- 5 sets x Double Side Step (each side)turn your body to the LEFT with your feet parallel to one another, step with your LEFT foot crossing over your RIGHT leg and planting 2 steps up. Place your RIGHT foot one step above your left and repeat them movement. Once you get to the top of the stairs, return (quickly) back to the bottom of the stair case.
- alternate left climb/right climb until you reach 5 sets on each side with NO rest until all sets are finished.
- 10 sets x Jump Step (single step – stay in squat)perform 2 sets back to back, take 1 minute rests, then perform 2 sets back to back, rest 1 minutes rest.
- *stay in a squat position as you jump up onto each step. Keep the tension in your quads, glutes, and hamstrings. Keep your shoulders back and abs tight.
- 10 sets x Double Step (2 stairs at a time)perform 2 sets back to back, take 15-20 second rest, perform another 2 sets back to back, then 15-20 second rest. Repeat this pattern 5 times (10 double stair climbs total)
- Quick feet up those stairs! *pump your arms to help power you up the stairs
- 10 sets x Walking Lunge Step (3 stairs at a time)perform 2 sets back to back, take 15-20 second rest, perform another 2 sets back to back, then 15-20 second rest. Repeat this pattern 5 times (10 walking lunge climbs total)
- 5 x Fire Feet (30 stair taps)perform 30 stair taps as fast as you can, rest 30 seconds and repeat for 5 sets total.
*Use lower intensity for the first few sets of the single step movement, warm up your legs and gradually elevate your heart rate.
*To get the most out of this workout, intensity it key! Once you’ve had a few sets to warm up, make every set of your movements fast and powerful, also don’t be sidetracked, keep your rest between sets short so that your body really feels like it’s working and your intensity stays high.
*take 10-15 minutes after your workout to cool down and do some stretching.
There you go! This first of many outdoor workouts since summer is just getting started!